Skip to content
- Cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.) is one of the important tree nut crops, native of Brazil.
- Cashew plantations are rich in biodiversity and globally, more than 300 species of arthropods are known to infest cashew till now.
- Depending on the climate, location and age of the plantation, each geographic region may have its own distinctive pest complex. Due to pests, 10 – 50 % loss in yield may occur depending on the incidence,severity of pests and the management measures taken up.
- Among the pests, tea mosquito bug and cashew stem and root borer are the two major pests in almost all cashew growing regions. There are other secondary and minor pests which cause damage occasionally.
- The knowledge on insect pest species, season of occurrence, biology, symptoms of pest damage and natural enemies are important to plan suitable management measures.
- Cashew pest database provides the above details with photographs.